Organized in 1953, Long View Fire Department was
originally located at 139 24th Street Southwest. The photo
to the left depicts the station as it was with only one truck
bay. Additional bays were added later as the department
grew. The building still stands and is occupied by Long
View Public Works.
The town's first fire engine was an American LaFrance
which was leased from nearby Hickory Fire Department.
This truck was given back to the City of Hickory when Long
View purchased its first pumper, which is currently on
display in the Catawba County Fire Museum.
An old response log is still kept in the station. Within this book is the
first recorded run made by the newly formed department. The entry,
dated March 1, 1953 reads:
"Trash fire..... 1:45pm....
539 26th Street Southwest...
Truck arrived back at station at 2:30 pm....
booster reel used"
Long View's first fire chief was Gene Annas. Others who followed
included Charles Lail, Charlie Eggers and Russell Robinson. In 1980,
Ernest Riley became the department's first paid fire chief, a position he
held until 1994. Riley retired in 1996.
In 1994, the fire department was merged with the police department
when the Town of Long View adopted the concept of "Public Safety".
During the following year, the town's emergency services were
relocated to 2404 1st Avenue South West. David Turner served as the
initial Director of Public Safety until his retirement and was succeeded
in 1998 by Cecil Rogers who held the position until the department was
disbanded in 2001. When the Long View Fire Department was
re-established, D. Eric Shepherd was appointed as the new Fire Chief.
Today, the department is equipped with two pumpers, a ladder truck,
water tender, brush engine and an equipment truck and responds to
over 200 incidents annually. This equipment is maintained and operated
by seven full time personnel and more than 20 "paid-on-call" firefighters.
|First Long View firefighters, circa 1953
(Click to enlarge)
|Long View Fire Department, 139 24th Street South West 1953
Page Views Since 11-19-2008